NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Treatment
Name: Jon

Question:
EPA sets the standard of zero colonies of fecal coliform bacteria per 100ml of water to determine the possible presence of other disease causing bacteria, viruses, and protozoans that Water Contaminated with the fecal coliform indicator bactiera must be treated and disinfected before ingestion to prevent intestinal diseases. The microorganisms that are of highest concern include Cryptosporidium parvum, Giardia duodenalis, Campylocbacter spp., Salmonella spp., pathogenic strains of E. coli, and Yersinia spp.

What are some of the methods used to treat and disinfect water containing these organisms?

The two most reliable methods to my knowledge are, chlorination which is the chice in most of the USA and ozonation which is the choice in other countries such as France ( as I remember). I prefer the ozonation because it is , in my opinion, safer because it will produce less side reactions with such things as tannins that are commonly benign product of leaves and organic matter in wells.

PF

Although Chlorination is used to inactivate certain organisms in water, filtration is highly important in "removal" of such since Cryptosporidium parvum is highly resistant to the widely used disinfectant.

Carol L