NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Pseudmands Bacteria
Name: Leon

Question:
I am trying to find information on a type of bacteria called pseudmands(could be pseudomands or pseudmandn).
My dad supposedly has had a bacterial infection from it, and supposedly has a lung fungus that is sporalgic(has to do with spores).

Is that bacteria a naturally occurring bacteria?
Do you have any information on pseudmands bacteria?
If this kind of information is not available from you, where might I research these two items?

Dear Leon,

I guess you mean Pseudomonas, a common bacteria that can cause lung infections. Most infections occur in people with decreased lung function, for instance due to cystic fibrosis, or immunocompromised people. I found a nice collection of websites on Pseudomonas aeruginosa, including information on lung infections. Have a look at

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/pseudomonas.htm

Here is what Bergey's encyclopedia has to say: http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~abushar/bergey/html/pseaergi.htm

Hope here you can find what you want.

Trudy Wassenaar

I believe the bacterium you're talking about is Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Pseudomonas is an opportunistic pathogen -- that means it's an agent that can infect and cause disease in somebody who is immune supressed (like an AIDS patient) or who is busy fighting a second infection -- for your father, probably the fungal respiratory infection. Pseudomonas is a tough bacterium to kill. It's notorious for resistance to antibiotics because it carries lots of resistance genes, and because it tends to form "biofilms" that are not easily penetrated by normal doses of antibiotics.

You can find more detailed information at this website:

http://www.bact.wisc.edu/MicrotextBook/disease/pseudomonas.html

Some of the information there is a little technical, so if you need a translation of anything, please write again.

I can't be too specific about a fungal infection, but in general terms, that means a yeast infection (or some close relative of yeast). A spore is one part of the yeast life cycle. Spores are the packaged-for-travel version of yeast so they're pretty hardy and also tough to kill.

Christine Ticknor
Ph.D student
Yale University
New Haven, Connecticut

I think you mean pseudomonads. These are bacteria from the Genus Pseudomonas , the most pathogenic (disease-causing) of these is Pseudomonas aeruginosa. They are a common cause of pneumonia. These organisms are ubiquitous in nature which means that they are found everywhere, so all of us have been exposed to them. Usually though, our immune systems are strong enough to fight them off. If your dad has had other health problems or is elderly, his immune system may be weakened and this allows these bacteria the opportunity to cause infection when normally they couldn't. They are called opportunistic bacteria for this reason. As far as the fungus goes, many fungi are spore formers. I would have to know more to comment.

Van Hoeck