NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fire Retardants for Fabric
Name: Josh

Question:
I am trying to find natural substances that can make fabrics like cotton, hemp, etc. fire retardant for kitchen use (such as gloves, aprons, hats...). I know of baking soda? Do you know of any others that I could experiment with that are non toxic?

Hi Josh,

I am not aware of any "natural" fire retardants. You mentioned baking soda. This would not be a good choice since it is certainly not "natural". Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a manufactured chemical. Further, it would be of no use here since it would wash out of the fabric the first time it was thrown in the laundry.

Unfortunately, most fire retardant chemicals are toxic to a greater or lesser degree, which may explain why clothing is generally not treated with them.