NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Microwaves, Temperature, and Cup Color
Name: Pete
Location: OR

Question:
I have noticed over the years that almost every coffee cup with dark colored glaze on it heats up to an unbearably hot temperature in a very short time in a microwave and, furthermore, the contents fail to heat in an apparent inverse ratio to the amount of dark glaze on the cup. These cups I am referring to are often specifically labeled "microwave safe". One cup I own is white with a dark blue design on it. After heating in the microwave, the area of the dark blue design is significantly hotter than the remaining white portion of the cup. Is the concentration of heat due to microwaves being absorbed by the darker pigments in the glaze instead of heating the water or is it due to the makeup of the glaze (i.e. lead and/or other metals in the glaze formulation)? Is industry aware of these complaints (I did an Internet search and I'm not alone in these observations)? For example, I have a whole set of new rust colored dish ware that is clearly labeled "microwave safe" yet when food is microwaved on/in the dish the dish gets VERY hot long before the food does. My old white and plain glass dishes only get hot where the heated food is in contact with the dish.

Hi Pete,

You seem alarmed that an article claimed to be microwave safe, can get hot when placed in a microwave oven. There is nothing unusual about this. "Microwave Safe" only means that the article will suffer no damage (e.g. melting, or cracking) in the microwave oven. It has nothing to do with the utensil getting hot.

Microwave ovens are usually designed to operate at 2.45 GHz, and produce heat in substances having polar molecules, most notably water. Exposure to microwaves causes the molecular dipoles of these substances to oscillate rapidly, resulting in frictional heat. Water, whose molecules are strongly polar, is especially affected (and heated) by microwave energy, and many other substances are to a lesser degree as well.

There are two possible reasons for the heating effect you have observed in some ceramics, and especially some glazes. One reason is that the ceramic or glaze molecules are somewhat polar and generate heat upon exposure to microwaves. The other possibility is that if a glaze has a metallic content, microwave energy can induce electrical current flow in the metal particles (much as a radio signal induces current flow in an antenna). This current, flowing in an electrical conductor, generates heat (the same way that current flowing in a wire or a resistor causes heat). Some microwave popcorn bags even have a strip of metal foil in the bag to help generate heat in this fashion.

I am sure most people have seen firsthand that some plates heat up more than others in microwaves. As with any radiation, different materials absorb microwaves with different efficiency, but that is just the start of this story. With microwaves, not only does the composition of the plate matter, but its size and shape also play a role (although predicting a plate's sensitivity based on seeing its size or shape is not a simple task). Even more strange, coatings on the dish -- perhaps like your colored glaze -- not only might absorb more microwave radiation that the rest of the dish, but also could cause more radiation to be absorbed by the dish and its contents. Microwaves do not interact strongly with everything, but you can design coatings that will allow the microwaves to be absorbed more readily by the container. The coating acts like a "funnel" that can guide more microwave radiation into a vessel or its contents (or act like a "shield" to block microwaves). For example, here is a link to a patent describing a device that takes advantage of this effect:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5424517.html.

I do not know much about ceramics industry practices, but I would guess that 'microwave safe' means that the plate will not be harmed by the microwave, not that the plate cannot harm you. I suppose almost anything could be 'overheated' in a microwave and become unsafe to handle.

I want to thank my colleague Dr. Lee Mosbacker for helpful discussions in preparing this answer.

Pete,

Many glazes use metallic oxides to produce their colors, while darker colors and black are produced with higher concentrations. Up to 2% manganese should produce purples and browns, while at 10-15% black is produced. The greater concentration of metallics should generally give a stronger response to the RF (radio frequencies) inside your microwave, heating the glaze. As for food not being heated as well, that is simple distribution of energy. My own microwave is rated at 700 Watts. If one of my bowls absorbs 300 watts of that power, then only 400 watts are acting to heat the food. If a cup nearly surrounds the beverage, and absorbs 500 watts of power, only 200 watts manage to heat the coffee!

As for being microwave safe, that term generally refers to two things. First, will the item itself be damaged by a microwave? Ceramic plates with metal foils probably are not the best choice for a microwave oven. Second, will the heating cause the dish to 'leak' chemicals into your food? Provided these two criteria are met, the dish is probably considered as microwave safe, although it may not be microwave effective.

Ryan Belscamper