NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Square Root of Matrix
Name: John

Question:
I have been experimenting with matrices lately and I am wondering whether it is possible to take the square-root of a square matrix (square matrices primarily because of course it is not possible with un even matrices such as a 3 x 2 matrix since multiplication is not commutative in matrix mathematics). I know for a fact that it is possible with 2 x 2 matrices (I have done it myself), but how about for larger square matrices such as 3 x 3 or 4 x 4?

Apparently there is no universal algorithm for |M|^1/2. Since you are experimenting with matrix operations, I assume you are not intimidated by matrix operations and notation. The two sites below discuss the problem of finding the square root for some special cases. If you do a google search on the term "matrix square root" you will find numerous sites and discussions of the problem.

I encourage you to continue your interest in mathematics. It will serve you well no matter what field of endeavor you undertake.

http://sep.stanford.edu/sep/prof/fgdp/c5/paper_html/node3.html
http://www.bluebit.gr/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41"