NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Infinity As A Number
Name: Tim H.

Question:
Is infinity a number?

I do not believe that mathematicians refer to INFINITY as a real number since 0 ? x ? ? is the INCORRECT way to represent all real numbers between [ 0, ? ).

The brackets [] means to include 0 (zero)....Where the parenthesis (), mean include everything up to, but NOT INCLUDING ?. My personal believe, as an engineer, is that ? is only AN IDEA to aid mathematicians in explaining things like vertical asymptotes and 1 / 0 and "non practical applications" ;) like this.

By the way, the true and CORRECT representation of all positive real numbers between 0 and ? is as follows:

1.) [ 0, ? )

or

2.) 0 ? x < ?

I hope this has made some bit of sense. Please follow up, if not.

Darin Wagner