NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Division Mnemonic
Name: Mike B.

Question:
Is there a simple mnemonic for me to teach children the basics of division? I know the one for order of operations! Any information would be appreciated.

Mike,

I do 'oknow of a simple mnemonic. Order of operations is a human invention. The order is chosen by mathematicians out of convenience. Division is not the same. Division is based on reality, real life experience. If you take 3/4 of a cup of water and divide it evenly among three glasses, each glass really does contain 1/4 of a cup. Twenty-five marbles divided evenly among five students truly does leave each student with five marbles. Perhaps the reality of division would be useful. You might even want to try a few class-participation experiments or take-home projects. Seeing something like division happen in your own hands can be very helpful in learning how it works.