NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Team Rotation
Name:  Todd

Question:
Can you help me? I am trying to figure out tournament bracketing for a Volleyball Doubles King of the Beach type format. There will be eight to twelve individuals in a bracket. The format is as follows: Every person will play with each other person once (teammate), and play against each person (opponent) a minimal number of times, which I believe should be two. The maxium number of courts need will be available (two for eight players, and three for twelve) and it does not matter how often a player plays on a court. I have tried different methods to solve the problem, but everytime I try to figure it out I have people playing against the same person three times by the fourth round. I would prefer a method on how to solve this problem, but would also gladly accept the solution. The reason I would prefer the method is I would also like to arrange other tournaments similar to the above but have three, four, or six players on a side, so people can get to meet and play with other people they normally would not play with.

Setting up match pairings for more than a few players and rounds is not a simple problem. There are several websites and algorithms available for doing so. I suggest you pursue one of the following websites:

www.friartuck.net
www2.igl.net/tournaments
www.devenezia.com/downloads/round-robin
www.idebate.org/idebate/what/kp.shtml
http://kate.kttl.helsinki.fi/~olounela/tour.html