NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Mathematics Predicting the Future
Name: Sarah L.

Question:
Can the future be predicted through a complex series of mathmatical data, similar to the psychohistory used in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series?

Sarah,

I'm inclined to think the answer is, no. Why? It is because the future offers infinite possibilities that are not on record -- until the possibility becomes the present, at which time it immediately becomes the past.

For reasons too complicated to outline here, there might be a better possibility to travel backward in time to revisit events that have already occurred and therefore are unalterable. It would be a little like watching a movie of events past. However, as you probably already, realize, if you were actually there in the past, your very presence would alter the past. That is already forbidden by the historical record of the time you visited.

The future is yet unformed. So how would one visit or view that which has not already happened. For example, you could be sitting at your computer reading this message OR my computer could have crashed before I even sent it to you and it became lost forever. How could one visit the wedding of a friend if the friend never marries? The contingencies are endless. The future is inaccessible -- until we get there.

Keep up the mental exercise and do continue to ask questions.

ProfHoff

Quantum theory suggests that since we can never know all the information of all the particles of matter involved ina system we can not predict with certainty the future. That does not mean we cannot predict within a certain degree of certainty what might happen. If I remember correctly Asimov's Foundation Phsychohistorians predicted what would venetually happen based on probablities...not absolute certainties...which is possible.

PF