Department of Energy Argonne National Laboratory Office of Science NEWTON's Homepage NEWTON's Homepage
NEWTON, Ask A Scientist!
NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Percent Change
Name: shankara
Status: other
Age:  20s
Location: N/A
Country: N/A
Date: N/A 

is there a standard or most correct way to calculate Percent Change?

I have always calculated percentages in the following way: what is the percent change, when the temperature (for example) rises from 100 to 101
((101-100)/100 )x 100% = 1% or when is the percent change when the
temperature falls from 101 to 100, ((100-101)/101) x 100% = 0.99%.

That's it.



The way a percentage change is determined is standard and is: % change =100 x ((new value-original value)/original value).

You can always avoid the confusion by carefully state the reference point (= original value). For example, saying that "the population of California has increased 8% in the past ten years" is quite unambiguous.


Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439

Click here to return to the Mathematics Archives

NEWTON is an electronic community for Science, Math, and Computer Science K-12 Educators, sponsored and operated by Argonne National Laboratory's Educational Programs, Andrew Skipor, Ph.D., Head of Educational Programs.

For assistance with NEWTON contact a System Operator (, or at Argonne's Educational Programs

Educational Programs
Building 360
9700 S. Cass Ave.
Argonne, Illinois
60439-4845, USA
Update: June 2012
Weclome To Newton

Argonne National Laboratory