NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Egg Estimation
Name: Joe
Age:  15

Question:
How Can I work out the rough surface area of an egg with one of the most simple formulas you know which is still accurate? Please reply soon. Thankyou very much

Hello,

You can assume the egg to be spherical with a radius R. Area is then 4 x pi x R^2. If you take R to be the longest (shortest) radius of the egg, the surface area is over(under)estimated. You can use the average of the two, however, for a better approximation. I think it is best to use the geometric average R=Squarerootof(R1 x R2) (where R1 and R2 are the major and minor axes) instead of the arithmetic average (R=(R1+R2)/2). You can alternatively assume an ellipsoidal shape, but I do not remember the equation for its surface area.

AK

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source
Argonne, IL 60439

the surface area is 4pi x major axis x minor axis.

Dr. Myron