NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Nano- and micro-
Name: vikci

Question:
What exactly are nano seconds? Can you please give me some info on anything that has to do with the prefix 'nano' and 'micro'? thanx-

A nanosecond is one one-billionth of a second. For references, try your library and look for dictionaries or encyclopedias of science or math, rather than general purpose references.

tee

Chapter I of almost any physics text has a table of prefixes.

jlu

For a slightly different perspective:

Light travels very fast, about 3 X 10^8 m/sec. In one nanosecond (that's 1 X 10^-9 seconds) light will only travel about 0.3 m -- that's approximately 1 foot.

gregory r bradburn

"Nano" is an SI prefix that means "10-9". You can look in any dictionary for a list of SI prefixes.

prof topper