NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Good Science Teaching
Name: Lyman W.

Question:
What is good science teaching?

Hi Lyman!

That is a very good question that requires some thinking to answer. To begin, one must find what really you are asking, actually the adjective "good" refers to science or to teaching? Since english is not my native language probably my doubt is due to the barrier language I have.

But my feeling about both interpretations is:

-To teach good science, in the way of teaching science well, means transmit to the class correctly, completely and at the class level, the nature phenomena and the principles behind them. To teach science well means also go ahead and try to help the students to see nature beauty and morality.

-By other hand to teach a good science implies to believe that there are a good science and a bad one, and that is not true. Science has no morality, and all science is good depending upon its uses and applications.

I hope that answers your question, although it is a personal answer, not a general one.

And thanks for asking NEWTON! Tell your friends about it!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)