NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sigmoid Curve
Name: Laurence B.

Question:
I am currently studing the transition of a pirate radio station into a licensed radio station, applying the obstacles that it must overcome to the areas of the Sigmoid Curve(looking at the lifecycle of an organisation) . In order to understand more about the curve I would like to know where and how it originated and by whom?

I have also found a modle by Greiner called the 'organisation lifecycle model' which is the Sigmoid Curve in more detail. Do you have any knowledge on this model?

Laurence :

A sigmoid curve is a common type of response function, encountered frequently in biology, as an example. The relationship between the name of the curve, "sigmoid", and its appearance, is easy : the name starts with an "S" and the curve looks like an "S", see

http://www.curvefit.com/id199.htm

Phenomenologically, it says that the response (value on the y-axis, which could be company size, etc.) to the input (value on the x-axis, which could be dollars, man-hours of work, etc.) is initially slow, followed by a period of rapid growth, eventually settling into a steady-state saturation level. I'm not familiar with Greiner's model, but, again, this is a common form of response and there is nothing particularly special about it.

Jim Rubin