NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dry Ice in Punch
Name: Michelle

Question:
I gave a Halloween birthday party for my 4 year-old granddaughter last weekend. For a special effect, I put dry ice in the punch. I was told by my mother in-law, that I made the punch poisonous by putting dry ice in it. Is that true? Did I cause any harm to the children by giving them this punch? I have heard of others putting dry ice in their punch, but since dry ice is a chemical, is there any harm in drinking it? Please email me. Thanks, Concerned Grandma

Pure dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) in punch is not going to hurt anybody. It's the same stuff people breathe out all the time. If the dry ice contained impurities, however, they might be dangerous to drink.