NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Memory
Name: lisa

Question:
I am interested in learning more about the living memory of water. There was a French scientist who had been working on a theorum that pstulated that water is alive, and has memory. Apparently, the memory is contained within the vibratory frequencies of water in its natural state. I have read about water's composition being ltered within pipes, because the water is forced to move in a position that is not retained within it smemory. Hence, the idea that we are not consuming natural water, and that the water that we do drink is an alteration of the natural water that is found in nature. Have you ever heard of this? Can you identify the scientist? Is this scientific theory as to the retained memory of water, a fact?

You gotta wonder why he/she singled out water, which behaves very much like other liquids. I mean, what distinguishes water from, say, dry cleaning fluid, that would make someone think water is alive and dry cleaning fluid is not? Water behaves in an utterly mindless fashion and, in my view, displays no sign of memory or of life.

No, I have not hear of this before, and I can't identify the person who proposed it. This is not a scientific theory, and it is not a fact.

However, it's wonderful fiction. There is a great science-fiction book entitled Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem, in which one of the main characters is a sentient ocean. You might like it.