NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Apple Seed Poison
Name: leigha

Question:
i was told years ago when I was trying to get healthy that apple seeds contain an ingrediant which is good for you that is found in nothing else. is this bolgnie?

Dear Leigha,

Rather possibly the exact opposite, see

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bio99/bio99250.htm

for more on prunasin:

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/pruvir/value_and_use.html

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach

Truthfully, apple seeds contain an ingredient which is very harmful for you... arsenic. Therefore, do NOT eat the apple seeds!

Nicole Murphy

In fact, apple seeds, like the seeds of some other fruits in the rose family such as peaches and bitter almonds, contain cyanide. It's part of the apple's way of protecting its offspring. The level of cyanide is quite low, but if you store up a whole lot of apple seds and eat them all at once, you can ingest enought cyanide to hurt or even kill you.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.

I doubt it. How would the bologna get into the apple seeds?

slap! slap! slap!

Sorry! Anyway, I still doubt it. How many apple seeds do you want to eat? Unless you want to eat piles, you'd need there to be something in there which is not only good for you but exceedingly potent, like a drug. But most natural drugs, e.g. the aspirin in willow bark, are well known. It ain't highly likely something in apple seeds has escaped everyone's attention for the past 5000 years, not when there's a pile of money to be made from any successful new drug. If there IS something powerful in apple seeds (vitamin C?), you can probably get whatever it might be in a more effective form, just like you can buy aspirin in a nice white concentrated tablet instead of having to down 46 gallons of willow-bark tea, which would be vile.

Grayce