NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne High Grade Coal
Name: Vincent

Question:
Is it true that scientists from Argonne National Laboratories "combined wood, water and acidic clay, and heated in a sealed container (with no addedd pressure) at 150 C for 28 days, and obtained high-grade black coal." (Creation ex nihilo, Vol. 19, No. 3, P. 14) ? This article claims to have found this in "Organic Geochemistry", 6:463-471, 1984. The research was supposedly led by a R. Hayatsu et. al.. Unfortunately, I have no way of obtaining that article in "Organic Geochemistry" to see the research for myself. Is there anyway to get a hold of this article (by phone or on the net)? I realize that R. Hayatsu may not be at this laboratory any more, but is the above statement of his results accurate?

NO! NO! NO! NO!

This question has been answered a few times before, so I'll run the answer again.

"I'm not a coal chemist, and I'm not part of the group here at Argonne that did that work (R. Hayatsu, R.L. McBeth, R.G. Scott, R.E. Botto, R.E. Winans, Organic Geochemistry, vol. 6, pp 463-471, 1984), but I'll take a crack at it anyway. I have skimmed the article in question, and I think I can clear up some fog here.

First of all, the study did not use wood. It used an isolated component of wood, called lignin. Wood is principally composed of three types of material: cellulose, lignin, and hemicellulose. Cellulose is a fibrous glucose polymer, hemicellulose is a shorter mixed polymer of several different kinds of sugar, and lignin is a polymer chemically related to sugars and to tannins. The cellulose fibers provide the strength of wood, and the hemicellulose and lignin bind the cellulose fibers together, much like epoxy binds together glass wool to make fiberglass.

So, for this study, the researchers used only the lignin, which makes up about 25% of wood material. They treated it pretty much as described in the article that you read. However, they also ran the treatment for longer periods of time, up to 8 months. After two months, the material resembled low-rank coal in terms of its atomic composition, chemical reactivity, and spectroscopic properties. Materials treated for longer times were more similar to higher-rank coals. Specifically, these lignin reaction products resembled a coal component called vitrinite, which is formed from low-hydrogen plant parts, such as wood, bark, and roots. (The rank of coal refers to the amount of geological transformation that the coal has undergone - the higher the rank, the higher the carbon content and the lower the hydrogen and oxygen content.)

This research does NOT mean that it is possible to "make coal from wood in 28 days." What it does mean is that conditions similar to those found in buried peat bogs can indeed transform chemicals found in plants into chemicals found in coal.

I don't want to wade deeply into the muck of a creation-evolution debate, but I hope that Mr. Wieland wasn't using this study to claim that since it only taked a month to make coal from wood, all the coal deposits on earth could have been formed during Noah's flood. If he was, perhaps you can ask another question, about how the ages of coal and other rocks are determined."

After I posted this answer, an alert reader brought to my attention that water was not used in the study; instead, they used powdered dry lignin and clay. He also confirmed my suspicion that this specious argument was used by a creationist to support the claim that all the coal and other fossil deposits in the world were formed in a very short time, during the Noachian flood. If this is the kind of lame argument that creations need to use, one tends to suspect that they don't have anything better on hand to support their scripture-based contentions.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.