NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Freezing point of sea water
Name: ken levine

Question:
I am trying to find the freezing point of sea water. Can I get some help here? It's my first time trying this feature.

The freezing point of seawater depends upon it's salinity, which is the amount of salt that it contains. Open ocean seawater has a salinity of about 35 (no units are used for salinity anymore, although you may see it called o/oo which means parts per thousand or psu, which means practical salinity units. Neither usage is now considered correct). Anyway, fresh water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius and 35 water freezes at about -2 degrees C. The decrease is linear so that water with a salinity of 17 freezes at about -1 degree C.

Stacie