NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gold Bar
Name: joseph ramirez

Question:
What is the weight and value of a gold bar in Fort Knox?

I looked in a number of places for the answer to this question, without success. I am not sure that there is a "standard" size for the gold bars in Fort Knox. The Encyclopedia Americana, in the article on gold, says that the gold bar most commonly used in international transactions weighs about 400 troy ounces, or about 27.4 "regular" (avoirdupois) pounds. The density of gold is about 0.698 lb per cubic inch, so such a bar would have a volume of about 39 cubic inches. A 6" x 3" x 2" brick would be close to this, so I think the 400 troy oz. bar is the gold "brick" most of us have a mental picture of.

The value of an ounce of gold varies from day to day; The closing price on 3/17/94 was $382.65 per troy ounce, so a 400 ounce bar would be worth (that day) a bit more than $153,000.

rcwinther