NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Mass of the Earth
Name:  carol a jackson

Question:
Does the mass of the Earth ever change?

Yes, although usually not by much. The Earth's gravity is constantly pulling in dust and meteorites that are very slowly increasing the mass of the Earth. Occasionally an asteroid or a comet strikes the Earth, and this produces a somewhat larger mass increase.

I tried to look up an estimate for the mass increase of the Earth per year. I couldn't find that number, but, in a totally unrelated matter, I did find out that the weight of all living things on the planet is less than one ten billionth the weight of the planet as a whole. Fancy that.

-Grant

The mass of Earth also decreases when we launch a spacecraft into space.

allsopp