NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rain gauges - size/diameter
Name: ronald miller

Question:
Hello, our question is about rain guages. What is the standard size for a rain gauge.... there must be a specific volume/diameter for rain gaiuges....?? Thanks.

I've seen rain guages in many sizes, ranging from cylindrical to trapezoidal shape (small at bottom, bigger at top). I suppose they could be any size or shape, but what is most important is the gradient. One cubic inch of water would be different on different size/shapes of guages. It's a matter of using the correct formula to calculate water volume based on shape.

wildman jackson

Although it seems that there would be a "standard" rain gauge, in fact you can use many types of containers. The most important thing in constructing your own gauge is to have a very accurate method for determining the volume of rain collected. For example, you can use ordinary soda bottles with a funnel as your gauge. Each day, at the same time, collect the rain and measure its volume with a graduated cylinder. Now, to determine how much rain fell use the following: depth of rainfall = volume of rain water / area of funnel opening This equation will give the depth of the rainfall. Rain is reported simply as the depth of the water captured in a vertical-sided container. So, any straight-sided container, such as a tin can, will work and then, you won't have to use the equation, just use a ruler to measure the depth of the water. There are other considerations for accurate precipitatio measurement. First, you must try to limit evaporation from your container. Try this, cover your soda bottle with an inverted flower pot, then insert the funnel through the drain hole and into the bottle. Also, set rain gauges in locations where they will not be disturbed by wind turbulence from buildings or trees. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

David