NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plants and Food Color
Name: Sarah
Location: FL
Date: October 2007

Question:
Hi! I had a question about dyeing plants with food coloring. Why doesnt the stem itself turn the color of the food coloring? Also, why cant some plants absorb some dye's?

I don't think there is a simple answer because it depends upon what food dye you select, what plant you select, and other possible factors such as the pH (acidity or alkalinity) of the "experiment". The absorption of dyes is a complicated process. The plant itself could change the color of the dye you "think" you are putting into the plant.