NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rivers being Alive
Name: Brittany
Location: GA

Question:
what characteristics of living things does a river have? is a river alive?

Not my field, but I have some thoughts. I am sure there are exceptions, but by the nature of things, I would think a river is alive. It has a source, the source would be containing vegetation, which supplies fish and other living things.

The question, I might struggle with is a pond alive? By pond I mean some body of water without a source. The question then becomes, can a collection of water produce life? Say, rainfall collects, or there is a man made source of water. I can see plants surving, but unless fish life is injected, I wonder if it could develop?

James Przewoznik

Rivers have many living things that depend on them! They have many different plant and algae kinds that live in the water, on the rocks and logs, and along the shore. They also contain many microscopic protazoans that are single celled moving creatures that help decompose any dead matter. Fish and turtles live in rivers. Many mammals use a river, like otters, racoons, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, almost any creature that would need to drink. Birds also use the river to find plants to eat or to fish in.

Grace Fields