NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Preventing Blue Jeans From Fading
Name:  Amanda
Location: LA

Question:
How do I keep my blue jeans from fading in the wash? My boyfriend does not like to wash his jeans because he does not want them to fade! Please let me know so he does not start to stink!

This is an excellent question, but really it is not likely that the jeans will not fade. Even without washing them, some of the color will wear off, especially where he wears creases into the cloth, or the cloth rubs against things (the seat, the knees, etc.) This is because the indigo dye does not bond completely with the cloth as many other dyes do. There also is probably excess dye on the cloth when you buy the jeans due to shortcuts taken by many manufacturers these days. For both reasons, some color loss is inevitable whether or not you wash the jeans.

Personally I agree that he should wash them, but at the very least get him to hang them up to air out each night.

Korah Erbacher