NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wood - Compound or Mixture
Name:  Shaz

Question:
Is wood a compound or a mixture?

I would call it a mixture, if only because it has water and structured voids (air) and a modest content of biological molecules other than cellulose. If it is sufficiently shredded to pulp, bleached and dried, you might have an almost homogeneous cellulose powder, consisting of only a few slightly differing compounds.

Strictly, wood is a mixture, in as much as it is possible to separate it into various components. Having said that, I think that there is too much emphasis placed on "compound" vs. "mixture" classifications, since it is always possible to find systems that are not clearly one or the other.