NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Thermometer Repair
Name: Sophie A.
Status:  educator

Question:
Is there a method for repairing thermometers that have the alcohol or mercury in the capillary dispersed? I have tried boiling in water.

Yes. And it is simple, but requires some care,caution, and patience. Hold the thermometer vertically (bulb end down) and drop it onto a soft surface from a height of a foot or two -- you obviously do not want to break it. A bed or carpet works fine but I would recommend "the Sunday newspaper" outside just in case you should break the thermometer. Sometimes this only takes two or three "drops", sometimes a couple of dozen, but just be patient and remember you are not trying to stab something. I have never seen this fail, but patience is the rule.