NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lithosphere and Atmosphere Interaction
Name: Arpan P.

Question:
I was just curious about how the geosphere ( Earth ) affects the atmosphere? I want to teach science class about the affects they have on each other. We were talking about the atmosphere and the question just popped up. I looked it up in the library but could not find it. I am trying to look for the answer but can find a lot of information.

Arpan P.,

Here is some help on how the geosphere interacts with the atmosphere.

Volcanic eruptions on the earth's surface. One of many examples would be Laki Fissure in Iceland erupted in June 1783, putting sufficient ash into the atmosphere that the following winter was extremely cold in Europe. The summer of 1783 was bleak in Iceland, resulting in famine and the loss of a fifth of its population and more than half of its sheep, cattle, and horses. Since 1986 Kilaeua Volcano in Hawaii, near the island's southeast's coast has been working almost nonstop producing lava and, as a byproduct, 1,000 tons of sulfur dioxide (SO2) gas per day. This sulfurous gas quickly combines with water to form sulfuric acid, which is hazardous to health and very corrosive to metallic components.

Above ground volcanos when they erupt can also release millions of tons of carbon dioxide gas into the atmosphere suffocating human and animal life along with producing acidic conditions in nearby lakes and streams.

The same above scenario holds true for underwater volcanic eruptions.

Also, from a heating standpoint, approximately 50 percent of the solar energy that strikes the top of the atmosphere reaches Earth's surface and is absorbed. Earth releases the absorbed radiation in the form of long-wave radiation. The atmospheric absorption of this long-wave terrestrial radiation, primarily by water vapor and carbon dioxide, is responsible for heating the atmosphere. I hope that this helps.

Sincerely,

Bob Trach