NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sunspots and Earthquakes
Name: Lisa J.

Question:
Hi...I am doing a little research and I would like to find out if there is a relation between sunspot cycles and earthquakes. Can you give me some ideas on if there is a relationship? And how can I find this out using background information and graphs?

There is no known relationship between earthquakes and sunspots.

A lot of these 'relationships' might be discovered if they are compounded on other data, but there is an equal chance that their data are swamped by known data and hence not discovered.

Howard Barnes

Scientists who study earthquakes have never been able to reliably predict them in the short term. So, the exact trigger mechanisms are not fully understood.

I am not aware of any proven relationship between the two phenomena. Scientists have tried for years without success to predict earthquakes in the short term. So, the exact trigger mechanism for earthquakes is not fully understood. Consequently, it is possible that some link exists between sunspots and seismic activity. However, if this link exists, it is so extremely weak as to be insignificant. Otherwise, it would have been shown by now.

Andy Johnson

I did a web search on the term "sunspots earthquake correlations" using the search engine www.dogpile.com and found a number of "hits". The "best" evidence to date seems to indicate a negative answer; however, the sites I found did not rule out the possibility. That is, the question does not violate the laws of nature, but no correlations have been found.