NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Table vs Rock Salt for Ice Cream
Name: David E. G.

Question:
Rock salt is used for making ice cream. We have found table salt actually lowers the temperature of ice water several degrees more. Why is table salt not used?

David,

It works quite well because it is more soluble than rock salt. It is not used much because it costs quite a lot more than rock salt.

No reason. It "works" better because table salt is a much finer grain and so it comes to equilibrium with the ice/water quicker. The only "ice cream maker's" reason might be that you do not want the temperature to get too low. There is probably some differential in price, but both forms of salt are so inexpensive for home-made ice cream compared to the other ingredients, that is not an important consideration.

I am not by any means an expert on making ice cream, but I am willing to make a guess. If it is correct that table salt lowers the temperature even more, the water might freeze faster and create ice crystals in the ice cream. I doubt most people want gritty ice cream. You could try an experiment--try one batch with table salt and one batch with rock salt and see what happens.

Pat Rowe

Rock salt is cheaper.

Some ice cream makers do recommend using table salt, so there is obviously no operational reason not to use it. But if rock salt will suffice, using table salt in an ice cream freezer is like washing your floor with distilled water - too much added cost for not much added benefit.