NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Reversing Bleach Effects
Name: Debbie C.
Date: Monday, September 30, 2002

Question:
Is there a way to reverse the effects of bleach? I accidently spilled bleach on an article of clothing and the color is now faded. I remember reading an article saying that bleach does not actually remove the color but rather "alters" it. The article also contained information as to how to reverse the effects of the bleach. I thought I had saved it but now can't seem to find it. Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thank you!

Debbie,

I wish I could offer encouragement. Though I am a chemist, I have no knowledge of how one might reverse the effects of bleach. Alas, when an oxidizing bleach (such as Clorox) "alters" fabric dye molecules, it actually breaks them apart and produces reaction products (fragments) that cannot be easily reassembled by any common or affordable process that would be practical. Perhaps another scientist on this forum can assist in locating the reversal process to which you referred.

It is true that bleaching alters the pigments and dyes used in fabrics. However, in almost all cases this "alteration" is not reversible. Sorry.