NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hair Bleaching by Color
Name: Jodi M.
Date: Tuesday, July 16, 2002

Question:
I read the answer to a question regarding why the sun bleaches your hair, but I would like more specifics. Why is it that medium blondes and light brunettes seem to get more sun bleaching than those with dark hair? How much exposure to the sun does it take for it to damage the hair?

Jodi,

"Medium blondes and light brunettes" have less pigment in their hair to begin with. Darker hair has more pigment. I cannot answer the "how much exposure ... " question because so much depends on the amount of pigment originally present, the condition of the hair, the intensity of the sunlight, and the length of exposure.