NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne McCormick-Deering Hammermill
Name: Kathy G.

Question:
I have a question I am unable to answer ... I am trying to find imformation about a McCormick-Deering Hammermill-made by International Harvester Company from Chicago, Illnois ...it has a no4.e. on it.... I am stumped as to what it is, its uses, the year it was produced, its general worth...my kids are smarter than I am ...thanks so much.

Kathy:

You may have already gotten an answer to your question on this hammermill, but I have a farmer friend who is an antique equipment enthusiast and he gave me the following information out of a book on farm equipment. I do not have the title, but I can get it if you are interested.

"A popular style, the small No. 4E hammer mill was well suited to stationary applications. In (the setup pictured above), spouts were directed to the hopper for automatic grinding with no shovelling or carrying. A 20 horsepower electric motor powered this unit for instant readiness. A strong permanent magnet was optionally available. It was placed in the feed hopper, and effectively removed tramp metal from the grain and undoubtedly saved the lives of untold heads of cattle. Production of the 4E mill totalled 11,582 units. It was built from 1947 to 1958."

The book also features a cutaway view of the No. 4E with an explanation of the parts. My friend did not have an estimate on its general worth. FYI, the series started with the No. 1A in 1932, which was powered by a takeoff from a tractor or truck.

Andy

Andrew M. Johnson, Ph.D., P.E.
State Materials Engineer
South Carolina Department of Transportation
Research and Materials Laboratory