NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Human Volume
Name: Michael G.

Question:
What is the average volume (such as in cubic meterscubic inches, etc.) of a human body? And does this number represent just men, just women, both, and for what races, is it worldwide, or only for certain countries

I saw the response for the average human being's density at http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bio99/bio99503.htm and plan to do calculations based on that information by finding the average mass of a human being. If you have any information about the average mass of humans perhaps broken down by gender, race, etc. that would be appreciated as well or if you can direct me to a resource where I can find this kind of information.

By the way, the reason I would like to know this information is that automobile manufacturers, in particular, and other industries seem to describe the amount of useable space in a vehicle, for instance, as volume. Now granted we all know that a human can't fit into every little nook in a car, but it did make us wonder what the average volume of a human is.

Michael,

AVERAGE VOLUME:

1a.) A very good first approximation to your question is to simply find the average human mass (easy enough to weigh) and divide by 0.001 kg/cm^3.

1b.) Lets take me for example, I am about 2.80 ft^3.

2.) Or as a very rough approximation you could consider a person to be cylindrical in form and calculate the volume of the "cylinder" w/ an effective diameter. (not so accurate)

3.) Even better (but not too practical), if you have a 55 gallon barrel or equivalent ), and can fit in it, fill it with water. Put yourself, or subject in the barrel, completely submersing 100% of body. Come out of the barrel, trying to keep as much of the water dripping off of you into the barrel as possible. Measure the displaced water height and multiply by the barrel cross section and theres your volume.

MEN VS. WOMEN:
Considering society as a whole, I would have to say that men are more voluminous than women. However, I have no scientific data to back this up with, only experience.

RACIAL / WORLDWIDE:
Any answer here would be a pure guess so I shall leave it blank.

I hope this was helpful.

-Darin