NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Determining Carbon Footprint of Human

Name: Maddi
Location: WI

Question:
How is the carbon foot print determined for a human being?

Hi Maddi,

Thanks for the question. There is no exact way to calculate or even measure the carbon footprint of a human being. Estimates are used instead. Let me explain. One estimates how much a typical human weighs and calculates the amount of food they eat and how far on average they drive to work and what a typical person uses in terms of utilities (water, electricity, sewage, gas, etc.). Estimates are then made of how much carbon dioxide is generated from these activities. The total amount of carbon dioxide produced then is the carbon footprint of a human. It should be born in mind that these are estimates and vary widely from country to country as well as within a country.

I hope this helps. Thanks Jeff Grell