NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Capillary Action and Soil

Name: Cynthia
Location: NY

Question:
Why is capillary action important in soil? Why would it be important to parts of a city?

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for the question. Capillary action is important in soils since it is how plants transport water from their roots to their leaves. Capillary action is also important in soils since it slows down the flow of water through a soil. The slow absorption of water by soils can be cause of a flash-flood. The absorption of water by soils is important to a city since a city may have little exposed soil and much concrete or asphalt. I have read that runoff from cities is due to the lack of soil being able to absorb rain water.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell