NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Nitrogen Free Soil

Name: Sam
Location: WY

Question:
I'm curious about nitrogen-fixating plants that convert nitrogen to nitrates and nitrites and wondered if there is such a thing as nitrogen-free soil for me to experiment with in my family's greenhouse?

Hi Sam,

A fine sand, washed in distilled water, would be the nearest to a nitrogen-free soil you could easily get. Any soil with organic material/humus would likely have some forms of organic and inorganic nitrogen.

Sand would also be deficient in nearly all other nutrients, but overall it would allow you to control all nutrients independently.

Don

You can use the silica (quartz) sand used in fish tanks. That medium will be nitrogen-free, or very close to nitrogen-free.