NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Environmental Data Repositories

Name: Bob
Country: Australia

Question:
I am a science teacher in New South Wales Australia and I and looking for monthly data. I wish for my students to graph the world average temperature, solar activity, carbon dioxide concentration in the atmosphere for the last 411 years. I wish to show to my students trends solar activity and global warming

For solar activity, try the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), or the Solar Influences Data-Analysis Centre (SIDC), Belgium.

I know that the NOAA has sunspot data going back to 1749. Both sets of data, however, have to be taken with a certain 'grainage of salt' due to the fact that the Relative Sunspot Number (also known as the Wolf Number) is calculated with the following formula;

R = k(10g + f)

where g = the number of sunspot regions, and f = the number of sunspots within those regions.

Our data only go back to 1973, but are available at http://gdso.webs.com (on the home page, in pdf format)

Regards, Howard Barnes, Georgi Dobrovolski Solar Observatory.