NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Oxygen in Underwater Cave
Name: Natalie
Location: HI

Question:
Is it possible for there to be free oxygen in an underwater cave? If it is, then how does it work?

Yes it is possible as I have personally experienced.

If the cave roof rises to a level above the water, air dissolved in the water will slowly out gas until the water is at the same level at all places. A pocket of breathable air will form.

In many caves the roof dips below water level in one place but it above it on both sides. Think of a U shaped tube where the bottom of the U is blocked by water. This is called a siphon and I have passed through many of these to find breathable air on the other side.

R. W. "Bob" Avakian Oklahoma State Univ. Inst. of Technology