NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Particle Settling Rate and pH
Name: Hung
Grade: n/a
Country: Vietnam

Question:
How is the particle settling influenced by pH in natural water?

Hung

Hmm, natural water, hmmm. What are we talking about "natural water"? I will assume you are asking about ground water.

Here is an interesting article about the pH of water from the US Geological Survey.

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/phdiagram.html

This article addresses many issues about water and pH. I hope you find it useful and helpful in answering your question. Among the articles points is this excerpt:

"The pH of water determines the solubility (amount that can be dissolved in the water) and biological availability (amount that can be utilized by aquatic life) of chemical constituents such as nutrients (phosphorus, nitrogen, and carbon) and heavy metals (lead, copper, cadmium, etc.). For example, in addition to affecting how much and what form of phosphorus is most abundant in the water, pH also determines whether aquatic life can use it. In the case of heavy metals, the degree to which they are soluble determines their toxicity. Metals tend to be more toxic at lower pH because they are more soluble. (Source: A Citizen's Guide to Understanding and Monitoring Lakes and Streams)"

I hope this answers your question.

Sincere regards,
Mike Stewart