NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fossiliferous Rock and Ooze
Name: Jim
Grade: Other
Location: NY

Question:
I have a large rock (80+ lbs.) made up of various fossils that I keep on my back deck. The recent heat wave in Western New York has caused the side of the rock to crack and a medium brown substance to ooze out from the rock. The substance is thick and smells like petroleum jelly. What is the substance? (pictures can be provided)

The substance is most likely tar. Tar can sometimes be found within limestone having seeped into the rock while in the ground.

Steven A. Miller