NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Solar Wind and Geomagnetism
Name: Gary
Location: MT
Date: July 2008

Question:
Over the past several years of teaching earth science I have a had a reoccurring question come up. Is there any correlation to the solar winds and Earth's magnetic pole shifting?

If by shift, you mean the geomagnetic reversal, where north and south poles exchange position, there is no relationship. Earth's magnetic field is generated deep within the Earth far beyond any solar wind effects. One question that is germane is; what happens when the geomagnetic field drops to zero? Then there is no magnetic field shielding us from high energy particles in space whatever their origin. Yet, to my knowledge no has yet found a correlation between reversals and changes in the fossil record.

Bob Avakian