NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Carlsbad Caverns Temperature Records
Name: Devon
Location: MN
Date: May 2007

Question:
Is there a recording of the temperatures of the Carlsbad Caverns for many years? If so where may I find them?

Devon,
I do not know for sure if there is a record of the temperature in each of the caves. There are 100 surveyed caves in Carlsbad Caverns National Park. According to the park web site:

http://www.nps.gov/cave/

the caves are 56 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius) all year round. My guess is that there is VERY little fluctuation in this temperature.

I would suggest calling the park and asking them about a written record of temperatures if you need more specific documentation.

Hope this helps.
--Michelle Weinberger