NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Magnetic Pole Wandering
Name: Matt
Location: TX
Date: April 2006

Question:
Why do the magnetic poles change location from time to time and how much? Is there a certain range of their movement and how is that range measured? in degrees? Also, I assume magnetic north points towards the magnetic pole. What is geodetic north based on? Thank you for your time.

The details of the answers to both your questions I do not believe are fully understood. It is proposed that the magnetic north pole wanders as a result of convection of molten iron in the earth's mantle, but what drives that is open to debate. The geodetic pole, the axis of rotation also follows a complex path. It is influenced by gravitational interactions of the Sun, Moon, and other planets, tidal lag, and other "minor" effects. If I remember correctly there are some 10-12 effects that cause the Earth's geodetic north to wander, one of which is the migration of the magnetic north pole! Gets to be very complicated.