NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fresh and Salt Water Mixing
Name: Matt
Location: MI
Date: April 2006

Question:
I recently went snorkeling off the Yucatan Peninsula and the guide used a term to explain the "oily" appearance of the water where the fresh water met saltwater. Because I do not speak fluent Spanish, I missed the term. I understand the two types of water are different densities. He explained thermocline too. What word could be used for the density reaction?

I think you are talking about the "schlieren effect". Fluids of different densities refract light to different degrees. As two fluids of different density mix, an observer may see the two fluids mix in a sort of turbulent swirling pattern.

Christopher Perkins