NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Amazon River Temperatures
Name: Michelle
Location: NE
Date: July 9, 2005

Question:
How could I find water temp values from the head of the Amazon River to the ocean? Are there records of this anywhere?

Michelle,

Thanks to changes in rainfall and global temperature changes, these are numbers that are constantly going to change. I did a journal search (June 2005) to see if I could find any recently published data and could not find any. However, I did find the names of people who have studied these variations. I recommend looking at the web site for the Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies at the Institute for Global Environment and Society. They are located in Claverton, MD. Two scientists in particular you might want to read their works are Paulo Nobre and J. Shukla.

Best of luck.

Michelle Weinberger