Department of Energy Argonne National Laboratory Office of Science NEWTON's Homepage NEWTON's Homepage
NEWTON, Ask A Scientist!
NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne River Flow
Name: Owen
Status: Student
Age: 6-8
Location: OH 
Country: United States
Date: February 18, 2005

What is the technical terms for the water flow of a river? How are they used?

Water flow in a river is simply called streamflow or discharge, usually measured in cubic feet per second. One use of these measurements is to establish statistics on flood frequency and drainage requirements when planning changes in land use such as development. Below are some websites containing glossaries of terms on this subject.

T. Esposito>

Click here to return to the Environmental and Earth Science Archives

NEWTON is an electronic community for Science, Math, and Computer Science K-12 Educators, sponsored and operated by Argonne National Laboratory's Educational Programs, Andrew Skipor, Ph.D., Head of Educational Programs.

For assistance with NEWTON contact a System Operator (, or at Argonne's Educational Programs

Educational Programs
Building 360
9700 S. Cass Ave.
Argonne, Illinois
60439-4845, USA
Update: June 2012
Weclome To Newton

Argonne National Laboratory