NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Polluted Lakes and Groundwater
Name: Cindy M.
Date: December 2, 2004

Question:
I know that polluted groundwater can in turn pollute lakes and rivers. My question is can a polluted lake or river effect groundwater? How?

The bottom of a lake, river, or even the oceans allow the exchange of water, and the impurities it contains, with the bottom of the body of water. This is a dynamic process so a polluted body of water allows impurities to permeate the soil beneath it.

Yes, if there is a connection (sometimes called "communication") between the polluted lake or river and the groundwater, the contamination can go either way depending on how the groundwater flows in the area.

Pat Rowe