NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lunar and Earth Mountains
Name: Kasij M.
Date: November 15, 2004

Question:
Why are the mountains on the moon so smooth compared to the ones on Earth?

I am not sure that lunar mountains ARE smoother than terrestrial mountains. I would expect the opposite. The lower gravity on the moon and the absence of an atmosphere that would promote erosion from dust and sand would seem to favor rougher higher lunar mountains. The lack of seismic activity on the moon on the other hand would mean that lunar mountains are older than terrestrial mountains which would favor smoothness.