NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Age of Map and Magnetic Declination
Name: Rex W.
Date: March 13, 2004

Question:
I am trying to determine the approximate year a map was made. The center point for navigation is latitude N 33.4360 and longitude W 111.3580 The map indicates a North Pole of 8 degrees. Can you tell me which decade between 1780 and 1950 comes closest to 8 degree variance?

Rex,

There is a declination calculator at www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/potfld/declination.shtml, but it only goes back to 1900.

However, considering how the declination was changing previous to about 1930, it would appear to me that the declination was around your 8 degrees East somewhere between 1780 and 1820.

You may be able to find more precise information somewhere on the Internet if you look around a bit.

Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division